Monday, February 7, 2011

Secret Ingredient: caJun ScRuNcH


I cook by the book. Some may criticize me for it. A lack of culinary instinct. I am in awe of chefs who can create--out of thin air--a delicious, one-of-a-kind recipe. The kind that takes their family by storm, and then the food world soon after. I'm just not one of those people. I like simplicity. I crave convenience. And above all--I can't afford too many culinary experiments-gone-wrong.

So, I'm always on the prowl for a secret ingredient--something that will take the flavor of my home cooking up a notch. And to that end, I have a new love--caJun ScRuNcH.

I will admit that when I first came across the recipe, I was considerably intimidated, especially when it didn't have familiar measurements like teaspoon or tablespoon, but instead--it was all about "parts." 2.5 parts of paprika to 1.5 parts of garlic powder to 1 part dried oregano, etc., etc. etc.

Luckily, a bottle of caJun ScRuNcH found its way into my home at Christmas. And despite promptly disappearing for two months, thanks to the curious hands of my toddler, it resurfaced last weekend.

It was worth the wait. It's a perfect balance of flavor and heat. I've used it with great success as a spice rub, a headliner in homemade chicken tenders, and as the final touch in a pasta sauce. For now, it's my secret ingredient and I encourage you to make it yours, too.

Let's spice things up while 'Cooking At Home'!


caJun ScRuNcH
By Josh Day

2.5 parts paprika (ie 2.5 tablespoons if using tablespoons, or 2.5 cups if using cups)
1.5 part garlic powder
1 part dried oregano
1 part dried thyme
1 part black pepper
1 part onion powder
1 part cayenne pepper
.5 part garlic salt

Mix all ingredients until well blended. According to Josh, if your "parts" are tablespoons, this will fill a 4 oz. spice bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment