Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Firecracker Shrimp with Roasted Garlic


Those who know me best know that I love heat. The spicier, the better. A recent excursion to Greensboro included dinner at Saigon, a Vietnamese restaurant. A footnote on their menu suggested that some of their entrees could be made-to-order--"Medium, Spicy, or Kamikaze." When I inquired about the intensity of each, the waitress assured me that "Spicy" was indeed----well, spicy. "Kamikaze," however, was best described as: "The chef, he likes to hurt people." Slightly intimidated, I ordered my entree "Spicy."

I should have taken my chances with "Kamikaze."

I enjoy spicy food that much. I really do, which is why caJuN ScRuNcH has taken such a predominant role in my cooking lately--not only is it really that good, it also packs a fiery punch. And it was perfect for last night's Firecracker Shrimp with Roasted Garlic.

This is a perfect blend of spicy and savory, and when paired with something cool and crisp, like a Caesar Salad, it makes for a very satisfying meal. Plus, there's a lot of room to play around with this recipe. So, experiment! Let me know what you add to the recipe. I'd love to feature it here.

Until then, thanks for 'Cooking At Home'!

Firecracker Shrimp with Roasted Garlic
Inspired by E-Mealz.com

Prep: 10 minutes | Cook: 35 minutes | Servings: 4-6

Ingredients
1 garlic bulb
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 1/2 lbs. shrimp, thawed, peeled and deveined
3 tablespoons caJun ScRuNcH
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
3 tablespoons minced onion
1 cup half and half
3 tablespoons lemon juice
Angel hair or thin spaghetti

Directions
Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees. Cut 1/4" off the top of the garlic bulb so that most cloves are exposed. Peel off the first layer of skin from the bulb. Place bulb cut side up in a muffin tin. Drizzle with olive oil and cover with aluminum foil. Roast for 25-35 minutes, or until the bulb are soft.

Meanwhile, prepare angel hair according to package directions.

In a medium bowl, combine the caJun ScRuNcH, salt, and pepper. Add the uncooked shrimp and gently toss to coat the shrimp in seasoning.

In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp. Cook for 3 minutes, or until pink and no longer translucent. Add minced garlic and onion and saute for 1 minute. Add cream and cook for 2-5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice. Slice roasted garlic bulbs. Reduce heat on shrimp and add sliced roasted garlic. Allow to simmer and thick.

Serve shrimp over cooked pasta.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmmmm hmmmm hmmmm! Damn that looks good!

    I'm definitely trying this one next week!

    ~ Leah

    ReplyDelete