Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Results of Torte-ure


I have good news and I have bad news.

The good news is that Dorie Greenspan's Fold-Over Pear Torte exceeded my greatest expectations. I think I swooned when I pulled it out of the oven. And was brought to tears when I pulled the torte from the pan to reveal the most beautiful "tall, golden, roly-poly dessert" that I've ever made.

The bad news is that I didn't get a picture of the torte out of the pan.

Or on the cake plate.

Or sliced.

Or with a dollop of the homemade whipped cream that I had beat into submission.

Because my camera took a swan dive--figuratively speaking, anyway.

And because I had but minutes before my guests arrived.

And because I arrived home to the chirping of an equally ill-fated smoke detector battery.

And because our cat left a hairball in the baby's room.

It was a rough evening. Thankfully, I was in the company of 14 sisters who think I can do no wrong.

The torte was perfect in every way. A decadent blend of pears, apricots, walnuts, and cream. And because the recipe is indeed two pages, single-spaced, and because I don't think any kitchen is complete without Dorie's cookbook, or any of her cookbooks, I am going to insist you buy it if you want the recipe.


No, really, it's the least I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment