Friday, January 21, 2011

Better Than Sara Lee. Really!

I have a secret I am compelled to share with you. I bake my own bread. And it's really good. Still don't believe me? My husband loves my bread. And tonight he announced that--are you sitting?--my bread is better than Sara Lee. To understand the significance of this comment, you must understand that for the duration of our marriage, he has asked...no, insisted...no, demanded, that I buy classic Sara Lee white bread.

When Sara Lee unveiled its whole wheat white bread, I tried purchasing that instead, only to have my healthful concerns met with a lot of groaning. He swore it tasted different, although I couldn't tell the difference. I'm a whole wheat, high fiber kind of girl. White bread is white bread.

When I first started baking my own bread, my husband was doubtful. I don't blame him. However, he's since converted. It's a dense, soft, but toothsome loaf that is as beautiful to look at as it is delicious, especially as bruchetta topped with insalata pomodoro. When I gave away a loaf to my best friend, my husband was vocally dismayed. It was "his bread" after all.

Well, we ran out of homebaked bread. Sara Lee made it back into our kitchen once more.

And tonight, as we were making BLTs for dinner (I know, so not glamourous for a Friday night), I was complaining left and right about how thin the slices were, how they couldn't hold up to being buttered and grilled without collapsing like an over-roasted marshmellow. "My bread would have performed so much better than this," I exclaimed!

That's when it happened.

"Your bread is better than Sara Lee."

Victory!

So, in addition to recharging my camera battery, fresh baked bread is on this weekend's to-do list, with the recipe to follow soon. You'll be amazed at just how easy it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment